Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Zeke's first day of School and his Progress

Zeke was so excited to start school this year! He loves to learn and he loves to be social. He was so excited to be able to see his friends and Teacher Shellee again. He picked out his outfit that he wanted to wear and he picked his backpack too.


Zeke attends Utah Schools for the Deaf and it is in Salt Lake so not very close to our house.  The school provides transportation so I don't have to drive him everyday.  He leaves around 8 and gets home after 3:30.  It is a pretty long day for him but he sure loves it.  He loves waiting for the "bus" (van) by looking out the window and as soon as he sees it coming up the street he yells, "the bus is here!" I hope he always has this much enthusiasm for school because I know a lot of kids don't.

Zeke waiting for the bus.
Zeke had his IEP at school before Christmas and they do a bunch of testing to see where he is at and if he still qualifies for the services provided by USDB.   Before the testing was started his teacher gave me a heads up to let me know that she didn't think Zeke would qualify for preschool anymore but that he probably qualified enough to finish up the school year.  Well a week later Zeke had therapy with his teacher and I and she told me the testing was done.  She said that he tested way too high and he wouldn't be able to finish the school year.  She had them do a lot of different tests to see if he could test low enough to be able to stay.  He tested at the age of a 4 year-11 month old on one test and right with his age group of normal hearing kids on other tests! He is one smart boy and I am so proud of him.  This was some very bittersweet news! I wanted him to be able to stay and finish the school year and I was sad that he couldn't go to USD anymore, but this is exactly why we made the choice to get him implanted. We want him to be able to go to our neighborhood school and be with his hearing friends. It has been a lot of work to get him to this point but so worth it!
   So this was before his IEP that we would have to try and figure out a school to send him to mid-year.  Thankfully he has an amazing teacher and goes to an awesome school.  Since Zeke had to get his left implant re-implanted at the end of September he was still getting use to it.  He still complains about it being too loud even in quiet environments sometimes.  His teacher thought it would be best if he could finish the year because they want him to be able to develop listening skills in the left implant.  Since he shows resistance with his left implant they want him to improve in that aspect, they want him to love it like he use to.  So he gets to finish the year and continue with therapy with his teacher and Auditory Verbal Therapist.  We are thrilled he can stay! In the fall we will have to find something close to us for him to attend with normal hearing peers! I am so happy for all the progress Zeke has made.  When he first got implanted he was 15 months behind with his speech, but he has caught up quick! I love you Zeke and I am  so proud of you!

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is great that he is doing so well! I used to want to be a Speech Pathologist (I think I'd still like it, I just don't want to go back to school for it), so I love reading about his experience with the implant and his progress!