Anyway, Zeke got his tubes in his ears about 3 weeks ago and he did really well with the surgery and has recovered just great. It did not however change his hearing. Maybe a tiny bit, but not enough to matter.
So...we ordered his Cochlear Implant and all the colors for the implant and we are now just waiting on our insurance. If things go as planned, Zeke will be getting the implant on June 5! I am so extremely nervous, excited and scared, but this is what we want for Zeke. We want to let him have the opportunity to hear and be able to get speech so he can communicate with all our family and friends. I am so amazed with the technology we have these days, it is absolutely amazing.
I know that once he gets the implant he won't hear right away and be able to speak right away, there is a lot of work involved. We will be very busy helping Zeke learn to listen and identify different sounds.
I am excited to take this new journey with Zeke and teach him more and work with him constantly, he is so smart. He already makes it very easy for me to teach him ASL. He picks up on things very quickly, I mean, he already knows over 40 signs and uses them and understands all the signs he knows. He always tells me what he wants, whether he wants something to eat, what he wants to eat like ice cream or candy, if he wants to go outside, go in the car and even go in general. In church on Sunday during Sunday school we were out in the hall and he kept signing 'go' and walking towards the door. He had enough church for the day and was ready for his nap. He tells me when he is all done, when he wants a bath, when he gets hurt, when he wants to watch signing time and even when he wants to color. I feel like he throws less tantrums because he can tell me what he needs or wants. I will definitely teach all of my children to sign even if they are not deaf.
Here is a picture of what Zeke will have once he gets activated with the implant. This is the bodyworn processor, he will only wear this one for a little while until Advanced Bionics gets their new Behind the Ear processor approved from the FDA. The new one that they are coming out with is more kid friendly and smaller to go behind Zeke's little ear and I am so excited for it to get approved. The black round thing is the magnet headpiece that will attach to his head where the implant is located.

When Zeke is a little bit older and his ears are a little bit bigger, he will wear a Behind the Ear processor like this. We actually ordered this color, blue and green. It comes with purple but I don't think he will ever wear the purple! If you want more information on the Advanced Bionics Harmony Implant you can check out their website at this website: http://www.bionicear.com/?langid=1

7 comments:
Yay for blogs! That is so exciting for Zeke!!!
I'm so excited for you guys! I'm sure it is nerve wracking waiting for the implant! He will take off with it!He is already so smart!
Baby sign was the best thing I ever did with my kids. I totally believe it cut down on tantrums. They can totally tell you what they want so it makes life less frustrating!
Thanks again for the adorable outfit! IT was so great to see you! hey... email me your email address so I can send you an invite to my private blog. my email is mikeandbeccaatgmaildotcom.
Were my friends in your ward? Steve and Regina Campbell?
HI!
My daughter is also a Deaf CI user in Utah! We got her implant in Nov. Who is your audiologist? There are some great ones here, and some awful ones!
Also, do you know about Hands and Voices?? We are a group of parents that are committed to supporting other parents of deaf and hard of hearing childre, in Utah. We would love to have you come check us out!
Wow, technology is so amazing. Good luck in the coming months!
That is soooo awesome! what a blessing that your insurance will pay for one. He is one special little guy. What a doll!
you are a ROCKIN' mama!
Zeke is lucky to have good parents.
when can we come play?
I'm glad you found me! I had fun looking at your blog--and seeing the cute pictures of your family. It also helps to read about what other families experience with raising a child with hearing loss. I'll be thinking of your family on June 5th! We still haven't decided which brand to go with...
Post a Comment