Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Zeke's signs

Zeke is such a smart little boy! He now does about 6 signs. He signs mom, dog, milk, more, eat, me, and dad. He also does a couple other signs that I have no idea what they mean, but I have heard it is normal for babies to make up signs to babble when they have hearing loss. He also points to himself when he wants something then will point at it. It is so hard to get pictures of him signing but I was able to get him signing mom. The sign for mom is just putting your thumb on your chin with your hand open like Zeke is doing. We are going to start having a deaf mentor come every Wednesday night to teach us sign language and he said we will be pretty good and fast at ASL in about 6 months. He is deaf and so when he speaks he signs and Zeke will just stare at him and then just start signing different signs. He babbles in sign and it is so cute. We were at Costco the other night eating in their food court and Zeke noticed the people sitting at the table next to us and they were signing to eachother. Zeke starting signing mom and would point. It was such a sweet thing for me to see.

When we found out about Zeke's hearing loss I was so worried that he wouldn't say mom and babble like other little babies who could hear, but it is so rewarding to see him figure out how to use his hands and sign. I wouldn't have it any other way with Zeke. He is such a blessing to me and I have learned so much. I just think that it is so amazing that he already knows about six words and he is only 10 months and that he is so quick at learning them. He is such a smart, sweet boy.

9 comments:

Elissa said...

Alex, what a sweet post. Mom and I were sitting here reading it, touched and in tears, because Zeke is such a special little kid. What a cutie! We sure love you guys!

Jonathan and Linsi said...

What a cute little boy! And so smart! That is so awesome, I had no idea babies could babble in sign! That's the most adorable thing I've ever heard! How lucky you are to have him!

Natalie said...

You are both such sweet parents to Zeke. I love watching you and Zeke together, it is so precious. Even though he may not hear your voice, you can see how much he knows and loves you. He is so handsome!!

Missy said...

I love the picture of him signing mom. Priceless! He is getting to be so big, it must be great to see him hit milestones like this.

M+J=K3+E said...

Too sweet, Too cute. I have always wanted to learn sign language. Maybe you can teach me :)

Meredith said...

What a doll. That is so amazing that he uses 6 words already! And how adorable that he babbles in sign. I didn't know kids did that!

Nicole said...

He is such a smart kid! That's great that he recognized others signing and knows that it is a way to communicate. You guys are such a great little family!

Danette said...

That is so awsome that he is getting it down. He is so cute. I am glad to see that you guys are all doing well..

Angie said...

That is so sweet. What a smart little guy. I'm amazed at how quickly he is learning!