Zeke had his surgery on Friday. He was scheduled to be at the hospital at 1:30 p.m. and into surgery by 2:00. We got a call that morning and they told us that the Dr. was behind schedule and we needed to be there at 2:30 instead. Zeke wasn't allowed to eat anything after midnight except for apple juice, water or pedialyte until 1:00 p.m. Poor little guy was starving. We got to the hospital around 2:15 checked in and waited until the nurse called us back. Finally around 2:45 the nurse called us back checked Zeke's vitals and gave him a gown to change into. She said surgery was scheduled for 3:00. We went into the 2nd pre-op waiting room where they had a lot of toys for the kids to play with. We waited in there for 2 hours because the Dr. was so far behind. Zeke was such a little trooper. He only complained and whined a few times when he saw my diaper bag and he would sign milk. We pushed him around in the hall in the little cars for a little while to try and pass time. At 5:00 PM the anesthesiologist came to get us and walk us down the hall to the doors where we would say our goodbyes and give hugs and kisses. Zeke went with no problem to the stranger. Brandon and I went to eat after they took Zeke. I was starving because I pretty much fasted along with Zeke because at home if he saw me with food he got pretty upset and wanted it. I don't think I have ever shoved food down my face as fast as I did. I was starving and I was an emotional wreck! In the waiting room we watched America's Funniest Home Videos which helped the time to fly by.
Around 7:00 I was reunited with my sweet little man. He had just woken up to strangers and was sitting in his crib crying. When I got there he stopped crying and reached his arms to me. He quickly fell asleep in my arms. He pretty much slept for the rest of the night, waking up for pain medicine. We had to stay over night in the hospital because he is under 2. They brought in a bed for us to sleep on which was only big enough for 1 person to sleep on so Brandon let me. He slept in the uncomfortable hospital beds that pull out to a bed. I slept so well, I think because I was so exhausted emotionally and physically. In the morning the Dr. checked on Zeke and said he was doing great. Zeke just had to keep some food in his stomach since he hadn't eaten anything and the anesthesia makes him nauseous. He drank 9 oz. of milk in like 5 minutes. He kept it down, but we had to wait for the Resident to bring Zeke's Rx since the surgeon forgot to give them to us at the pre-op apointment.
When we got home Zeke went straight upstairs to our bedroom and kept signing that he wanted to watch signing time. I made some pancakes, Strawberries and String cheese for Zeke to eat and he was so happy to eat it. He was starving for food and not just liquid or milk. While he ate he had his eyes glued on the computer watching signing time. He slept a lot of the rest of the day and slept really well that night. He has been really good not to try and pull off the tape, but he loves to stick his fingers in his ears. Because of the tubes in his ears they drain blood so we try to keep a cotton ball in his ear but he always pulls it out.I am so grateful for all of the prayers and fasting for my Zeke and I am grateful everything went so well! Thank you everyone. Zeke will be activated on July 8 and July 9! We are so excited for him to hear. It will be quite the adventure.
9 comments:
i am so happy it went well. i was thinking of you all day on friday. can't wait to hear what happens in july!
So glad it went well! I'm surprised surgery was so late because of his age. Lucas's surgery was at like 7 AM. Sounds like he was a real trooper though! God bless!
We are so happy to here that all went well! What a hard thing for you and Brandon to go through. You are amazing parents! He is an adorable and special little guy! We wish you all the best with what lies ahead.
I'm SOOO happy things went well with the surgery! It's tought to see kids that young go through that. Sounds like he was so brave though!
What a little trooper he is. It is amazing what they can through and how well they can handle it.. We are so happy for you guys we will contuine to keep you guys in are prayer.
He looks so cute in all the post-op pics! I'm so relieved that everything went so well. He was so sweet when we saw him yesterday. Please let me know if you need any help w/ anything :)
I'm glad to hear that everything went well for Zeke. We were worried when they told us that they were running late because the surgery before ours had some complications. We were hoping that it wasn't you guys. You probably got to the hospital about the same time that we were leaving. I hope that Zeke's recovery has been as good as Johnny's, he is definitely back to being a normal two year old.
Woo hoo! Zeke he's going to hear! Those toy cars are great huh. We did the same thing up and down the halls. Those beds are hard as a rock. At Primaries Hospital. We had to stay over night cause Gavin was under two at the time. We have a surgery date for Gavin to recieve his bilateral implant. I'm so excited! One implant is awesome. Two is the icing on the cake! I'm so excited for Zeke and you guys. Get the video camera out and get ready to be amazed at the things Zeke will hear.
-Heather
Congradulations! You and your family are all such good examples! Zeke is way cute, too! What a tough little guy! We are all thinking about him!
Post a Comment